Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Our Brave Little Strong Secret Agent with an Eye Patch

Logan having Josh feed him breakfast

Where to begin? Josh decided to take Logan to Las Vegas Saturday to visit his family. They drove out to Pahrump where one of his sisters live. I had called around 9:30 to tell them goodnight and see if they were getting ready to head back to Las Vegas, they were getting close to leaving and I had already settled myself into bed when I got a call from Josh at 10:30 p.m. He asked, "What do you do when you have out of state insurance and you have to take someone to the ER?" I asked him who and what happened. He told me Logan had just got poked in the eye with the end of a plastic fishing pole and his eye is full of blood. I told him to go straight the the ER. I got online to get the phone number for the Pahrump Hospital to fax them a copy of our insurance card. When I was talking to the lady I heard my little buddy SCREAMING! They had just gotten to the ER. I texted Josh and told him to get his brother in law and give Logan a blessing. As they were waiting for him to get called back, they went into the bathroom and gave Logan a blessing. After getting called back the nurse was trying to look in Logan's eye (he actually had both of them closed) she opened the hurt one and said, "oh, you have brown eyes like me." Josh said, "um, no he has blue eyes." Turns out, the whole pupil and iris was full of blood so they looked like a brown eye instead of blue. The doctor looked at him and said he wanted an Opthamologist to look at his eye and being Pahrump, they didn't have one there. So the doctor got on the phone and called around to the hospitals in Las Vegas to find what Logan needed and ended up sending them to Sunrise Hospital. Josh, his mom, and sister got in the yukon and drove Logan there. While all this was going on I was at home freaking out...crying, praying, and texting my sister in law to see what's going on. I read my scriptures the whole 45 minutes it took to get from Pahrump to Las Vegas. Josh texted me and said they had just arrived to Sunrise and he would let me know when the doctor had looked at Logan. Of course I was not sleeping and desperatley wanted to get in my car and drive there, but I am not a night person.
They waited for about 15 minutes to see the doctor, this was about 1:00 a.m. The doctor looked at his eye and ordered a CAT scan to make sure there wasn't any leakage in the eye. I called after I recieved the text and heard Logan SCREAMING again...they had just given him an IV so that they could inject a dye to see the eye in the CAT scan. I really wanted to talk to him, but they whisked him away to get the scan. Around 1:30 a.m. I got a call from Josh saying they were finished with the CAT scan and I could talk to Logan! YAY! He told me how he was still like a statue to get a picture of his eye and I told him how mommy has to get IV's everytime I have a baby and he said he remembered after I had Raylie. I talked to him a little bit longer and then talked with Josh. He was going to call me after the results of the scan came back.
I fell asleep just after 2:00 a.m. and jerked awake at 5:00 a.m. because I hadn't heard back yet from Josh. I told myself to try and get some sleep he would call when they were done. At 6:30 a.m. I got a call from Josh saying they were discharged and headed to his moms house to get some sleep before coming home.
CAT scan verdict...Not leaking any fluids. The Opthomologist wanted Logan to be seen by a Retinologist on Monday to make sure there was no damage to the retina. He put Logan on strict bedrest with no Tylenol, Motrin, or asprin until the retinologist said that it was ok.
Well we do not have a retina specialist in St. George. They come every couple weeks from Vegas or SLC. So I got on the phone monday morning to see just by chance if they would be here soon...no luck. Vegas wouldn't take our insurance so I made an appointment with one in SLC. They could get him in at 3:00 p.m. So that meant I had an hour to get all of us ready, packed and in the car. We did it! We arrived at the doctors at 3:07 pm. The doctor wasn't able to get a good look in Logan's eye with lights because his eye is super sensitive to light and he wouldn't keep it open...so he did an Ultrasound.
Ultrasound verdict...retina looks good, just a TON of blood in the eye. So he told us that this is a serious injury. Logan needs to be bed bound watching movies or looking at books for ONE WEEK! The only time he is aloud to be up and about is when we were to take him to the eye doctor here in St. George. Ya right, how in the world do you keep an active 5 year old boy down!? He suggested Benedryl...doesn't work on Logan. So I called his Dr. and we are trying Valium. I hate to put him on that drug, but the alternative would be possible re-bleeding and permanent damage that could lead to blindness in that eye.
This picture was taken on Sunday after he got home from Vegas. You can't see very well but there isn't a lot of blue showing and the pupil isn't really visible. He has to have a steroid eye drop and an antibiotic eye drop four times a day.


If you made it to the end way to go! Needless to say we are glad the weekend is over but I think this week will be a long one! The title of the post came from Logan's mouth. Josh told Logan in the car that he was very brave through this whole ordeal and Logan said, "Yeah, I am a brave little strong secret agent with an eye patch." Thanks to Des for letting us spend the night last night! The kids had a movie party to "try" and keep Logan down. What a cutie! We love him a ton!

This picture was taken today Wednesday March 25. It is hard to get a good picture because the flash hurts his eye and he can't keep it open wide enough when thinking about it. We went to the eye doctor here in St. George today and he said his iris is extremely bruised. He said to stop doing the antibiotic drops and start doing a eye dialeter drop to constrict the blood vessels. He said it was like putting a band-aid on the eye or applyling pressure to a bleeding wound. If you enlarge the picture you might be able to see how there is a little bit of blue but then the rest is black. On the outer side of the eye you can't see the speration of the pupil and iris. That is the blood/bruise.

11 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh my gosh! You guys sure know how to have some stress! Good luck. Call if you need something. Really.

Julie said...

WOW! That is awful! Hopefully the week will fly by. We will be praying for you guys. We are really happy that he is going to be ok!

Des said...

I'm so glad that you were able to get into the doc up here and stay with us. We loved having you here, wish it was under better circumstances. I hope that the Valium works! It's already Wednesday, just a few more days to go!

Danette said...

I'm glad everything is turning out okay!! Wish I could've been there to help out!

Josh and Michele said...

Oh my goodness! That is so scary! I am so glad that everything will be ok. Good luck this week....I hope Logan is feeling better soon.

Pauline said...

Your family is always in our prayers but just alittle more right now. I wish I could have been more help to you that night but after driving over the two days before for 23 hours I felt like I was not coherent at all. Had it been a normal two days I could have driven you there. We love you and our little secret agent with an eye patch!!!! :)

Cluff Family said...

Poor little secret agent!!!! I am so sorry! What a mess! I hope the week goes okay for you all! That is very scary! What a looong night for you to have to just sit and wait for the phone call updates! I hope things get better soon!

Tiffini said...

My goodness Poor guy, and Mom! Hope everything heals properly, and where would we be without the lord!

Crystal said...

Poor Logan! I hope he heals quickly. Keeping a 5 year old in bed for a week sounds like an impossible task!

Peyton and Jayce said...

Poor Logan! We are praying for him- and for you- I cant imagine trying to keep Jayce down for a week! We love you guys! Give him a hug and tell him that Jayce says "cool patch dude!"

Peyton and Jayce said...

I guess Grandma and Grandpa Great did not know that Logan had been hurt- so I think she will probably call soon- we just showed them the blog and told them what we knoew! Hope hes doing good still!!