Thursday, June 25, 2009

Bad News times 3

Well to start off this is a post with no pictures. Sorry. The next one will be for Lucas because he is one month! But to start off with the first of the bad news... Logan was scheduled to have a recheck on his eye yesterday (Wednesday). I took Logan and Lucas to the eye doctors. I was shocked when the tech did Logans vision screen and he was getting them all WRONG with the eye he hurt a couple months ago. I thought maybe he was just messing around or being silly, but when they tested his good eye he got them all RIGHT! My heart sank! I knew that wasn't a good sign. When the doctor came in he said he thought he knew what the reason behind it was but he was hoping it wasn't it....but when he was done looking in the eye and was silent I knew the news was not going to be good news and it wasn't. The cataract has moved down his eye so he is only seeing 20/200! He has not ONCE complained about not being able to see. So the doctor called a pedicatric eye surgeon in Salt Lake to see when they could see him. We got an appointment for today at 10:15 a.m. So me and the kiddos drove to Salt Lake yesterday afternoon (Josh REALLY wanted to come but he had to work last night and had class today that he CAN NOT miss). We said a prayer and the Lord helped us out because the drive up here could not have gone any BETTER! So we saw the doctor this morning and he said he "could" do the surgery but didn't feel comfortable doing it because the cataract is on the back of the lens, so it has to be taken out a certain way so he said he had a collegue who could do it at the U of U, his office is actually in Primary Childrens Hospital. So he said he would call to see if he could see Logan since we were up here. Well they are not in the office on Fridays so he said Logan could come in this afternoon. So we rushed up there to meet with him. Logan is scheduled to have his eye surgery the end of July. He will most likely have to wear glasses or a contact because his eye is still growing so they have to put a lens in that he will grow into, so for about 10 years he most likely won't be able to see clearly out of it. Only time will tell.
Second bad news...my 82 year old Grandpa has been in the hospital here in Salt Lake for the past 3 weeks! He is not doing to swell. I consider myself lucky because I still have a four of my grandparents alive. I have known 3 of my great grandmas, so this has been really tough for me. It is still up in the air if he will be able to make it through. He has good days and bad. They have actually taken over 5 liters of fluid from his chest cavity!
Third bad news...Joshs oldest sister was diagnosed with Thyroid Cancer the week just after Lucas was born. She is only 36 years old and is the mother of 6 cute kids! They are planning on taking out her thyroid the begininng of July. Then she will have to do radiation treatments.
So I guess when it rains it pours! Atleast to our family the past few months! So if you can keep our family in your prayers at this time that would be great! The next post will be happy news. :)

9 comments:

Elisa said...

Sorry Brit! That stinks about Logan, but glad you found it! Hope the kiddos did ok on that big trip for you...you are really brave! Did you get to see your grandpa while you were up there? I hope so! We'll definitely keep your family in our prayers! Please let me know if I can help out with anything.

Shauntel said...

So sorry about the bad news!

But I wanted to tell you - I've had worse than 20/200 vision in my left eye FOREVER. Even in high school. However, it sort of went undiagnosed because my right eye compensated so I could see fine. When I finally had a good vision screening and the doctor informed me my left eye was basically BLIND, I started wearing one contact, just in my left eye. Now, my right eye requires a bit of correction, so I wear two contacts like normal people. :)

The point of my rambling: I know Logan will be okay and contacts are wonderful things! :) I'm so sorry he has to go through surgery though. No fun at all. :(

Roseann said...

Oh my! Hang in there! When you are up this way, you know I can watch your kids if you need any help for doctor appointments. Also, if you need a place to stay, you are welcome here. You probably have other family available too, but the offer is there if you need it.

Crystal said...

crazy stuff!! sorry that everything is happening at once.

a cute 30-year-old girl in our ward just got diagnosed with thryroid cancer too. so sad!!

Cluff Family said...

Sorry about all of the bad news! I hope things start to look up soon! We miss you guys!

Mom G said...

Oh, so sorry! He is such a cute little boy. We will pray for him and all of you. You will be knowing the road to SL very well.
We are concerned about Jennifer too. She is one of our favorite people.

Our Family: Forrest,Carla and Apryl said...

Sorry about your bad news...I hope everything gets better ...if you ever need anything please let me know.....

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear all the sad news. Good luck Logan you are a brave little man. My thoughts are with you Brit!

Tiffini said...

Man sorry about this, hopefully good news is coming your way and that it all works out!!